There was a slight disturbance in the library for a few weeks in May. As a result, changes have made to the lobby and adjacent space. The large desk where the self-checks used to be was removed and the floor underneath was repaired. A new desk replaces the temporary banquet tables that the self-checks sat on. It will accommodate one handicapped accessible self-check unit. A smaller Fiction, Movies and Music desk was installed. Permanent shelving for the reserve materials was built. Although the location of the library catalog computers has shifted, the number of computers for searching the library’s holdings remains the same.
A keystone in this change is adding more self-check units because of the generosity of the Friends. The additional self-check units will make it more convenient for patrons to check out materials themselves. Currently, there are often lines for the self-check units. When the change is complete, there will be five new self-check units.
The new self-checks will not only provide for two more stations for people to check out materials, but every unit will also have more features than the old ones:
• Each unit will have a credit card swipe enabling people to pay fines and fees at the self-check unit
• The new units are smaller, eleven inches narrower, than the current self-check machines.
• The units are touch screen and will support multiple languages.
• Patrons will be able to see their account information (and even print it or email it) right from the self-check.
• Receipts will be optional.
All the changes are being made to serve the community better. None of this would have happened without your generosity!